Ozone, Hyperbaric Oxygen therapy (HBOT). Ultraviolet blood irradiation (UVBI) and hydrogen peroxide are all oxidative therapies and are a unique form of therapy that both heals and detoxifies at the same time.
Breathing is an oxidative process as is converting sugar to energy in the body. The body also uses oxidation as the first line of defense against bacteria, virus, yeast and parasites. We know there can be no life if oxidation does not occur.
What Is Ozone?
It is a very powerful therapy that helps increase oxygenation, detoxification and immune stimulation. There are only a limited number of clinics in North America that offers this treatment. The oxygen you breathe is present in the air as a pair of oxygen atoms. This is the most stable form of oxygen, and it’s colorless. Ozone is a blue colored form of oxygen (it is what makes the sky blue), and unlike regular oxygen, it is composed of three oxygen atoms instead of two. It is the addition of the third oxygen atom that makes ozone “supercharged” oxygen, and gives it all of its remarkable medical properties.
The use of ozone to treat various medical conditions was first developed in Germany in the early 1950's.Today, medical ozone therapy is common throughout Europe, and its use has gradually been spreading in America over the last 25 years.
Oxidative therapies are used to treat a variety of chronic disease including:
- Chronic Fatigue
- cardiovascular disease,
- Lyme disease,
- chronic hepatitis
- chemical sensitivity,
- macular degeneration,
- chronic bladder conditions,
- auto-immune diseases,
- Crohn’s disease.
Medical Properties of Ozone
Ozone addresses the key issues in almost all disease conditions: oxygen delivery, circulation, and
Immune system function. It has proven beneficial effects such as:
Ozone has five properties that account for why it works so well not only for macular degeneration, but also for most other chronic age related conditions as well:
- Ozone is a potent regulator of the immune system. This means that when the immune system is overactive (as in auto-immune disease), ozone will calm it down. Conversely, when the immune system is under active as in cancer, AIDS, and chronic infections, ozone will stimulate it. This unique ability of ozone stems from its action on the membranes of white cells that causes them to produce immune related messenger molecules called cytokines. Examples of cytokines are gamma interferon, interleukin-2, colony stimulating factor, and TNF-alpha just to name a few.
- Ozone stimulates increased uptake of oxygen by stimulating the enzyme diphosphoglycerate (DPG). DPG enables the release of oxygen from the hemoglobin molecule so that it can be taken up into the cell. In the absence of an adequate amount of DPG, our cells become starved for oxygen. This is a common problem in diabetics.
- Ozone improves circulation. It does this by enhancing the flow characteristics of blood as a liquid. This effect enables more of the oxygen carrying hemoglobin to reach the capillaries where ultimately the cells will receive more of the oxygen they require. Many patients with chronic inflammatory conditions have impaired circulation.
- Ozone increases antioxidant protection more than any other therapy including vitamin C. Most people with chronic disease have deficient antioxidant defenses.
- Ozone is a powerful mitochondrial stimulant. The fundamental underlying cause behind all degenerative disease from diabetes to heart disease to cancer is decreased mitochondrial energy production. Ozone can often correct this problem.
Is Ozone Therapy For Me?
Some conditions simply will not clear up unless ozone is used, and of course many conditions will clear up without ozone. Because of its many therapeutic properties, ozone can be used as part of a therapeutic plan for almost every disease.
It is invaluable in the treatment of heart disease and circulatory disorders. Chronic infections such as hepatitis-C, herpes, Lyme, and AIDS respond very favorably to ozone. It is also very helpful in chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia, and autoimmune diseases.
Although ozone is often an indispensable modality, it is only rarely effective by itself. In the great majority of cases it must be combined with an individualized program of other alternative and natural therapies, such as nutrition and detoxification.
Ozone therapy should only be used by professionals who have been fully trained in its use. Dr.Kalidas has been trained by Dr. Shallenberger.
What Types of Oxidative Therapies are offered at The Center for Natural & Integrative Medicine?
- Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT)
- Ozone Autohemotherapy
- UltraViolet Blood Irradiation Therapy (UVBI)
Autohemotherapy is the most common, and in most cases the most effective way ozone is administered. The patient sits in a chair and has from 6-12 ounces of blood removed into a sterilized bottle. Ozone is then injected into the bottle, and the bottle is gently shaken, allowing the red and white blood cells to take up the ozone. The ozonated blood is then returned to the body. The entire procedure takes about 30-40 minutes.