Unfortunately, people often come into contact with toxins without ever realizing it. Whether in food, household items, water, or even the air that we breathe, toxins can impact your health in more ways than one.
Environmental Toxins: Endocrine-Disrupting Chemicals
Endocrine-disrupting chemicals, or EDCs, are a prevalent type of environmental toxin. These chemicals can impede the normal function of the endocrine system, which produces hormones. EDCs have been linked to cancer (namely ovarian, breast, and prostate cancer), reproductive issues, and heart problems.
You come into contact with EDCs through:
- Cigarette smoke
- Plastics plates and cups
- Packaging materials
Common examples of EDCs include:
- Plastics (bisphenol A, or BPA)
- Pharmaceutical agents (diethylstilbestrol, or DES)
- Polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs)
- Polybrominated biphenyls (PBBs)
How Do Environmental Toxins Impact Your Health?
As aforementioned, environmental toxins can lead to serious health problems, including cancer, heart problems, reproductive problems, damage to the immune system, and damage to the respiratory system. However, you may experience minor health effects from exposure to environmental toxins, such as:
- Skin irritation
- Irritation in the eyes, nose, and/or throat
- Trouble breathing
People are primarily exposed to environmental toxins by inhaling vapors or dust, ingesting chemical contaminants, or absorbing chemicals through the skin. You can limit your exposure to environmental toxins, including EDCs, by making a few changes to your lifestyle:
- Opt for products that are labeled paraben-free, phthalate-free, and BPA-free.
- Choose organic foods whenever possible to limit your exposure to pesticides.
- Drink purified tap water treated by reverse osmosis or other means instead of bottled water, which often contains chemicals.
- Opt for natural cleaning products to use throughout your home.
At The Center for Natural & Integrative Medicine, we offer detox programs, chelation therapy, IV therapy, ozone therapy, lab testing, and dietary and lifestyle recommendations to help you overcome and avoid the effects of environmental toxins. Contact us today to schedule an appointment!